I was about 30 seconds into the “de-branding my life” project when I realized that this was going to be a very difficult project. For several reasons.
- Sometimes brands don’t come off, or even after you take them off you can still tell what it is.
- I (heart) Apple.
- & Crate & Barrel
- & IKEA
- The glass mason jars I used to hold by dry goods are Ball. A brand. That now holds more territory in my cabinet than anything else, except for Barilla.
- I (heart) Barilla.
- There’s really no such thing as “de-branding” because, by creating a space in which the brands are removed or de-emphasized, you are essentially branding the space.
Ahhhhh *pew pew* (head explodes)
So. For my own sanity, I’m changing the verbiage to Minimize/Minimizing. I’m minimizing:
- the number of brands in my home
- the presence of brands in my home
- the amount of stuff in general, and organizing what I do have
Hahahahahaha. Good luck with that!
Which, I think, is oddly going to emphasize the brands that ARE used. Which I really don’t think was the original point, but we’ll see how it turns out.